BA(Psych), PgDip Psych, MPsych (Clin), MAPS
Tonia is a psychologist who loves working with children and adults. She has completed her Masters degree in Clinical Psychology and is currently serving as the Early Career Representative for the Australian Psychological Society Clinical College.
One of Tonia’s passions is working with and helping people who struggle with anxiety. She understands the way in which anxiety can gradually take over your life as you begin to avoid more and more triggering situations. Tonia works with people to help them reduce avoidance and get back into doing the things that are important to them.
I could list a hundred reasons why I love my job — it’s my passion! But the main reason is that I get to build working relationships with people, I get to discover and explore what’s going on for that person, and I then help them manage and work through their difficulties. That’s all I’ve ever wanted to do and I get to do it every day!
Tonia has experience in individual and group therapy with children, adolescents and adults. Her other interests include helping people with OCD, depression, perfectionism, binge-eating, and self-esteem and body-image issues. Tonia has facilitated several ‘Cool Kids’ child anxiety groups, as well as group therapy programs focusing on binge-eating in adults. In addition, Tonia has presented to high school students on topics including academic procrastination, perfectionism, stress management and self-care. Tonia’s approach to therapy is a reflection of her personality; she is very supportive, caring and understanding. She enjoys building strong and genuine therapeutic relationships with people so they can work towards reaching their personal goals.
In the simplest of terms, therapy is based on the idea that the way we think, and the way we behave, influences how we feel. Take this and apply it to anxiety. If we face our fears we can reduce the distress they cause us, change how we think about them, and ultimately change the impact that fear has on us. That is pretty incredible if you ask me.
My goal is provide individuals with a space where they can express themselves without judgment or criticism, and be supported and understood. I think that is the most valuable and important thing a psychologist can offer.
- Tonia-Marie Dempsey. ‘Academic procrastination and perfectionism’ and ‘Stress management and self-care’ for Year 11 and 12 students at The Hills Grammar School (August 2013).
Recent continuing education
- September 2014. ‘Anxiety disorders in children and adolescents.’ Black Dog Institute.
- July 2014. ‘Assessing and managing risk of suicide and self-harm in adolescents’. Presented by Clare Martin.
- June 2014. APS Clinical Psychology Conference.
- June 2014. ‘The nature and treatment of anxiety disorders in children and adolescents’. Presented by Professor Ron Rapee.
- June 2014. ‘Eating disorders treatment’. Presented by Dr Anthea Fursland.
- June 2014. ‘Expanding understanding and implementation of mindfulness-integrated CBT’. Presented by Dr Bruno Cayoun.
- May 2014. ‘Schema therapy, core beliefs and special sauce’. Presented by Nicola Kemp.
Tonia is available for appointments on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- Master of Psychology (Clinical) – Australian College of Applied Psychology
- Postgraduate Diploma of Psychology – The University of Western Sydney
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) – The University of Western Sydney
- Fully registered psychologist with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Registered Medicare Provider
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society
- Early Career Representative, Australian Psychological Society Clinical College National Committee
- Member of the Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy (AACBT)