Clinical Psychologist MA (Clin Psych), MAPS (Clinical College)
Michelle Player is a clinical psychologist with nearly 20 years of experience in working therapeutically with children, adolescents and adults.
Michelle’s approach is based on respect and positive regard for her clients. She believes that every person has strengths that can help them to overcome the things in life that are holding them back. She loves working with children to help them build resilience and self esteem. And she has particular expertise in working with clients who have been experiencing troublesome longstanding issues such as unresolved trauma or grief, emotion regulation issues, anger control problems, self harm, and addictive behaviours such as gambling or drug/alcohol abuse.
In addition to working at the Northwest Psychology Practice, Michelle has worked in a range of other contexts including clinical, community and forensic settings. She is currently also working part-time as a clinical supervisor at Macquarie University, overseeing psychometric assessments such as intelligence and academic testing for children. She enjoys working with clients of all ages, with a variety of presenting problems, using practical tools and strategies.
As person, Michelle is warm, approachable and professional. Her experience in children and family work comes, in part, from her own journey of raising two children, maintaining a stable relationship and juggling the endless demands of life and work.
- Michelle Player. ‘The Mental Health Professional in Court ‘. Pearson Academy (Brisbane), June 2014.
Recent continuing education
- March 2015. ‘New Directions in Trauma Therapy’. Presented by Dr Bessel van der Kolk
- September 2014. ‘The How and Why of Executive Functions: Impacts on Language and Learning
Michelle is available for appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Master of Psychology (Clinical) – Macquarie University
- Bachelor of Arts (Psych) (Hons) – Macquarie University
- Fully registered psychologist with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Registered Medicare Provider
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society
- Member of the Clinical College of the Australian Psychological Society